Windsor Park Neighborhood Association
Yard of the Month Program
PurposeThe purpose of the Yard of the Month Program is to promote goodwill and reward our neighbors "pride of ownership" shown through yard maintenance and landscaping. The program will recognize and support neighbors who demonstrate pride in maintaining and improving their property in a manner that contributes to the overall appearance of the community at large.
General CriteriaYard of the Month candidates will be judged solely on the total exterior appearance of their property and front yard as viewed from the street. General upkeep of the yard and property is paramount. Emphasis will be given to use of native plants and xeriscaping efforts.
General Judging Factors
Judging factors include the overall appearance, tidiness and neatness of the front of the property as evidenced by pruned, trimmed and shaped foliage. This can be interpreted in tight form or free form shapes achieving a visually appealing facade.
- Yard Maintenance
- Healthy lawn, neatly mowed
- Pruned and trimmed shrubs and trees
- Healthy, living plants (native/xeriscaping)
- Minimum weeds in flowerbeds
- Yard free of debris and clutter
- Buildings, fences, porches and patios on the property in good repair
- Design and Landscaping
- Use of color and texture
- Creative, unique curb appeal
- Balance appropriate to house and lot size
- Overall aesthetic appeal
- Pleasing appearance making the property an asset to the community
- Yard of the Month will be referred in this document as YOTM.
- The program will be managed by a YOTM Committee of volunteers chaired by a Director who will Chalr the Committee _andoversee the program for one cstendar year. Election will take place in November for the following year.
- YOTM committee is not responsible for policing Windsor Park residence in reference to city ordinance violations.
- All current Windsor Park properties are automatically eligible by default.
- Award winners are selected by open vote at prior month's meeting by attendees from a selection made by the committee members.
- Committee members must be active for 6 months to nominate addresses for YOTM. (Original members are grandfathered)
- Nominations for YOTM vote are selected based on the judging criteria, factors and guidelines listed on this document.
- The upkeep of the yard can reflect the efforts of the residents themselves or that of a professional landscaper or groundskeeper.
- The award duration term is approximately a single calendar month and runs until the following month winner has been notified. Durations may vary due to judging schedules and holidays.
- The same property cannot receive more than one award in the same rolling twelvemonth calendar period.
- No more than one YOTM recipient will be selected in a single month.
- Winners may be disqualified if their property is in violation of any city regulation.
- YOTM sign will be displayed in winner's yard but not required to receive YOTM award certificate. * Release form will be required for sign placement.
- YOTM sign must be displayed in accordance with city ordinance and be revoked if not in compliance.
- While an individual's home is being recognized as YOTM, they are expected to maintain their yard in the same manner that allowed them to win the title.
- Winners will be offered opportunity of having their yard photographed and published on wpneighbors.com website. * Release form will be required.
- Windsor Park Neighborhood will be divided into quadrants that each member will be assigned to for a period three months.
- At the end of three months each member will move to a quadrant that they have not covered. This is to Insure fresh insight.
- Each month each member will nominate two addresses in a first choice/second choice format and email them to chairperson for aggregation and return to members.
- First choices will be in the initial nomination subject to approval of homeowner participation.
- Volunteer members will visit nominees and request participation. Participation form will be left with homeowner to review with significant other with member name and phone number for two to three day review and return phone call for pickup and photo.
- If nominees refuse to participate, second tier nominations will move forward by default.
- Visiting volunteer members will request signatures of acceptance of participation in YOTM program.
- Nominees may refuse to have sign posting in yard and still be winner of YOTM and receive award certificate.
- Nominees may refuse to have picture or address posted on wpneighbors.com website and receive award certificate.
- Nominees must agree to have one picture of house and yard for voting process or be disqualified.
- Acceptance form will include participation, photo permission, sign permission, opt out on signage, permission to be mentioned on wpneighbors.com website, opt out on mention on wpneighbors.com, picture posting on wpneighbors.com, opt out of picture posting on www.wpneighbors.com
- Picture of home taken at acceptance of participation in the YOTM program will be deleted immediately after vote taken.
VotingVoting will take place at the begining of each meeting and will be open to all attendlng. Pictures will be displayed of nominees with corresponding numbers. Votes will be tabulated during meeting with winner announcement at meeting end. Certificate of Excellence awarded to winner and Certificate of Merit to remaining nominees.
President Windsor Park Neighborhood Association Date
Yard of the Month Chairman Date
Committee member Date
Committee member Date
Committee member Date
*Windsor Park Neighborhood Association represented by the Yard of the Month committee is not responsible for damages incurred in placement of YOTM siqn. Residents are encouraged to advise committee members of existing sprinkler systems or other resident concerns prior to sign placement.